Sunday, January 9

Melbourne is Completely Fabulous.

Day one of the long-awaited Melbourne trip, and I packed a lot into it.

Being a civilised place, shops are open until 6pm on a Sunday. I managed to visit 5 antique centres, a huge market, several op shops, lots of shoes and clothes shops and more.

So, yes, there are lots of reasons why Melbourne is great, here are just a few.


Lots of beautiful tree-lined streets.


Trams. I love them.  Sydney and Brisbane don't have them, so they have enormous novelty value for me. Wasn't sure how I'd fare dealing with them in traffic, but I was fine.


Lots of antique centres. Obviously. They all seem to be full of enormous cabinets, not much that can be touched/handled.


Lots of single-storey colonial terraces with cottage gardens...


And many very beautiful, grander old homes to admire while crawling driving by.


This is one of the huge emporium-style op shops I went to.



I love the heels on these shoes (not the snake print though). 



And the name of this vintage shop, Fat Helens. Sorry not a great pic, I was too excited to take good photos.


And lastly, brooch overload. Can you believe I didn't buy one single thing all day?! How good am I. Nah, don't worry, I'll be spending tomorrow!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You didn't buy a single thing??? What happened? Are you ok? Were you in a coma? Were you mugged?
All those emporiums, op shops and antique centres and you didn't buy a single thing??

My flabber is ghasted!

Sarah xxx

And you make me miss old stomping ground so much! I am an old Hawthorn gal - your shots look like the inner east to me. It looks so beautiful! So glad you're having a wonderful time. xxx

Kitty said...

Sarah, I'm doing a huge buy-up in the next couple of days so will fing plenty then. I just didn't see anything I couldn't live without today-I did try though. And yes the photos are inner east, we used to live in Melbourne too and I've never quite forgiven my mother for taking us away.

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

I'm not sure why, but I find it fascinating to look at antique and vintage shops in other countries =D

Those snakeskin shoes are like nothing I have ever seen...

Gee and the trolley (or tram as you say lol) and the homes are a step back in time!!

Vix said...

Melbourne looks fab, loving the architectural style of those pretty houses and the tantalising peeks at the junk shops.
You bought nothing? Better recitify that pretty damn pronto.
Those shoes are amazing, the gorgeousness of the wedge would make them a must-buy for me. xxx

Sarsaparilla said...

Glad you're having a great time!
We're all thinking the same thing...didn't buy anything, are you sick? Ha! I'm sure you'll make up for it later.

Nice that those antique stores were open on Sunday, but ugh, I really hate it when everything is in cases. I like to dig & touch...

Have fun!

Unknown said...

Wow what a gorg place i love the style house with white picket fences so sweet. And wow you didn't buy anything yet...Thats self control ;-))) Enjoy the rest of your time. And have fun, Dee ;-) x

Straight Talking Mama! said...

That looks like a stunning place, love the architecture. Of course I'm also wondering about not buying but hey I've had those days, looks like there are lots of opportunities to spend though!

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

I still have never been to Melbourne, this makes me want to visit badly. If I ever do go I'll be sure to ask you for your vintage store address book!

The Self-Raising Kitchen said...

I absolutely love Melbourne. I've only been once and thought it was beautiful...mind you my credit card didn't like it ;-)