Saturday, August 7

Saturday is Project Day

Which you know already.

So- meet my current project.
A 1930s Australian silky oak dressing table.
It has has a lovely big swing mirror which sits in the middle too, but of course this has been removed temporarily. As you can see it's very dried out and rough, but seeing as we picked it up for a song we figure it doesn't matter if it doesn't turn out as well as we'd like. Which is a distinct possibility, given that we have precious little experience with furniture restoration, and also I'm not sure how deep some of the stains are.

WE? I hear you ask...well, in this case, yes. It's a joint effort by oldmate* and myself. Now that I have space to store furniture (let's just say that lovely word again- SPACE!!) I can buy and sell antique and vintage furniture to my little hearts content, and oldmate is going to help me. Yay!

So today we did about 5 hours work on this dresser. I don't think it looks like it though! Most of the sanding has to be done by hand because we're not game enough to pull the whole thing apart. And I'm patient with fiddly things, so that's fine. We're trying to be very cautious, you see. And we have plenty of time too.

Progress! Some, anyway. It will take us a good few weeks before this project is finished, so I'm lucky that oldmate keeps a good stock of yummy drinkies for me- this weeks' treat was Trappist Monk beer.

And this is what I looked like afterwards! Pulling silly faces for you too.

Oh the glamorous life of a vintage seller. Ha! Trust me, this is very often what it's like. But that's fine with me :)

* oldmate- a modern term for 'whatshisname', but a person who, in this case, really IS an old mate.

6 comments:

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Hahaha you really did work hard!!

I'm afraid my furniture restoration skills are pretty bad. Well, I'm just happy if I can get a sort of smooth surface and some paint on it. =)

Kitty said...

Miz Ranchie, I swear, you are getting up earlier every day! I'm determined to learn more about furniture restoration so I can do it as well as some of my colleagues do- I've seen some impressive stuff lately and it's inspiring. Don't forget to enter my giveaway!

Straight Talking Mama! said...

I wish I could renovate furniture but then that would just be another thing to do and I can't keep up with what I need to do!

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

I get up very early here in the US. =)


I have so many projects right now it ain't funny lol...

A 1940's-1950's wood Drafting table Mom used for her artwork (I'm and artist too, so it's very sentimental) that needs some real hard work and a solid coat of varnish because it's in bad shape... =(

Oh and the whole rest of the house... Bllaaaahhh... lol..

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Oops and will feature your giveaway on my blog too. =)

Helga said...

That'll be a sweetie!!! I haven't the [atience for that kind of thing,G does the furniture restoration & saving around here!Well done you!
xxx