Tuesday, September 14

The Weekend Shopper

Yep, thats me!

The title of this post will be a pun for anyone who lives near me, as our local newspaper has a massive 'for sale' section called 'the weekend shopper'. Its like Craigslist but not on the internet. I think.

(Why is Craigslist actually called Craigslist anyway?? I never have understood that).

Anyway, this is just some of what I (or should I say, Sue and I) bought. There were a few more furniture pieces bought, including a solid cedar table and a 1920s ironing board, but they went home with Sue so unfortunately I can't show them off.


Vintage cane breakfast tray. It needs a bit of a clean up and a couple of coats of varnish, but not too much work really.



A couple of childrens school cases. These sell like hotcakes even in this condition. I don't know why, maybe its the nostalgia value?


Cane screen or room divider, I like the style on this one. As you can see its currently a wierd yellow and white, so will need a total respray.


My one purchase for myself, a piece of blue Lewbury, YESSS!! It needs a clean but is in excellent condition, and at $20 was a major bargain. I saw a similar piece in green in an antique shop last week for $165.


Biscuit barrell, be gone! New piece now in situ in the kitchen, I'm loving having all this matching stuff.




But the find of the day has to be this small collection of vintage dresses.

They are 70s, but to put things in perspective for those overseas, to even find clothing this old here is still quite a coup. We simply don't have the amount, age and variety of vintage clothing that is available in the northern hemisphere. I wish we did. As an example, 50s dresses are like hens teeth here and wholesale for $110. Which I think is pretty scary!





4 comments:

Vix said...

Oh what glorious frocks, I'm particularly loving the orange hippy number and the navy stripes. What finds! As you know, I'm a sucker for old suitcases, the more the merrier.
I'd never heard of Lewbury before (except on your previous kitchen blog post). It looks very pretty with your other bits.
Cane must be very popular over in Oz. It's not popular here. Suppose 'cos we don't really have conservatories or outdoor living like you lucky people. xxx

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Oh wonderful finds! Congrats on finding another matching piece to your beautiful blue set! That's always so much fun!

Helga said...

O,my,what a bunch of fab loot!! Loving the cane breaky tray!! Yep,indeedy,those cases are really popular.With the smaller population here,we too are lacking in funky old shit! Thats' why,I expect, it is so pricey.
xxx

Mrs Cleaver said...

I actually had one of those exact same suitcases when i started school,are they globite?
Lovin the red,white & blue & also the navy stripe dresses.
Yes it is a sad fact that older vintage stuff is much harder to come by over here & if you do find it ,it is often 3 times the price!
That blue dish is gorgeous!I havn't heard of Lewbury either,i have seen a pyrex equivalent though but it was in turquiose/aqua.$20 is a great price..
Hope you are having a great week :)