Thursday, April 14

All Hail, Fire King! *



Peach lustre fire king. How many of you remember this stuff? The first time around, that is!

I do, not as an adult, but I remember my grandmothers drinking from the coffee mugs when I was a kid in the 70s.

 My mother always hated it and wouldn't have it in the house, I just remember that Nanas coffee was always extremely hot and that I had to be careful with that funny glass stuff.


I guess my mother unknowingly engendered a kind of 'ugh' in me towards this stuff...is it just me or do others find that their parents' opinions and tastes 'rub off' on them?


Which is why I almost can't believe I've bought an entire collection of the stuff, as you can see above. Until now I've avoided buying it for resale, as a single piece here and there isn't really worth it. But a whole collection?? Apparently a different story.



At a basic level its good quality borosilicate glassware, oven-proof and made by Anchor Hocking. It was often a promotional giveaway at supermarkets and other shops-but then so was green depression glass!



Here it is on display at the shop

So tell me dear readers, do you like Fire King?

Do you consider it collectable?

*if you have a child you'll understand the reference!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the pearly lustre of it and I also remember my Gran drinking her coffee from hers. I wouldn't have it myself but I do really love the look of it.

Sarah xxx

Miss Claire said...

I don't really like it either, they are a bit 'tacky' looking to me and not in a good way! I bought a couple of the mugs when I came across them in an op-shop a few days after seeing a set of mugs go for a small fortune on ebay! I should have left them. If I ever manage to visit your shop, I'll add them to your collection!

Xx

Vintage Coconut said...

My Mom's Mother had these. Whenever there was coffee at Grandmas when I was a child it was usually in one of these or a fire king kimberly design mug. Which I like a little more because they remind me of pineapples! =D I have 2 peach lustre of my own. They were purchased for sitting next to my teapot down in the basement rec room. I think they were 25 cents each. And I could not just let them sit there on the shelf (BEACUSE they reminded me of my childhood.)

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

They give me the ughs too. I think it is just the idea of eating off peach plates. So wrong xx

Elemental Mercury said...

My Mom and Grandmother were big fans of Pfaltzgraff pottery which is the opposite - it's so heavy! And I am big fan of Pfaltzgraff, inherited my grandmother's collection and am always on the lookout for more because it reminds me of sneaking sips of Grandma's coffee.

I am not a big fan of the Fire King because I am obsessed with Pyrex, but I DO have a Fire King casserole dish that my mother bought for me, thinking it was Pyrex.

Unknown said...

I really like this its almost pearl like in the glaze they come in different colours here i have seen them in pinks and purples to me that's really pretty. I don't know if its collectable i think anything is if you love it and someone will i am sure. dee x

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

We had similar when we were kids. As kids, you think most everything is dumb anyways lol. I liked the lusterware back then, tho. But all we had were some coffee cups. =)

doradadama said...

I adore Fireking, so pretty. My mom had mugs like those,dont remember if they were Fireking.I consider it collectable.

Nelly said...

My mums favourite mug was one of these she drank everything in it.I have been able to pick up bits and pieces over the years but all gone now and see bits on occasion at oppys but never sure wehtherto buy or not.,But a set like yours woudl be a differnt story.I know they are becoming populra again.

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Kitty, I only do white plates and patterned tea sets but I love, to quote Sarah, "the pearly lustre of it" xx

Amy said...

I do love fire king. Jade is my fave, and of course the hardest to find. I have a lot of this peach though...and have a love hate relationship with it. I love it, because I love fire king, but i have nothing else that is peach in my decor. Still not sure I could part with though!

mispapelicos said...

I have never seen them before. Are they glass???
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

DearHelenHartman said...

Fire King is the best. It's silly but if an object is iffy - buy or not buy, the Fire King stamp is the deciding factor. Fire King rocks, the others walk.